WFLM Radio
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Total Metal Domination!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Classic Interview: Cadaveria...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
JewelThrone
Administrative Tyrant
JewelThrone

Classic Interview: Cadaveria... Empty
PostSubject: Classic Interview: Cadaveria...   Classic Interview: Cadaveria... I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 1:27 pm

Here is an interview I did with vocalist Cadaveria in 2002. This was posted originally through a webzine and on SNMR. Enjoy reading this blast from the past.

Classic Interview: Cadaveria... CadaveriaLogo

Jewelthrone: Hello Cadaveria. Thanks for taking the time to do this interview. For those who don't know who the band is yet, could you tell the readers who the members are, what they do, and how you all met and formed the band?

Cadaveria: Hi all. Well Cadaveria was formed in April 2001 by me and Flegias, the drummer, in order to create a free and open-minded artistic dimension where to discharge our metal instincts and to let our unexpressed ideas become concrete. The main purpose was to be free to express what we have inside us without being slave on any existent genre, for this reason we recruited some musicians with different musical backgrounds. The union of these different influences and experiences gave life to a particular and personal style. Besides me and Flegias, the line-up features Frank Booth (guitar), Killer Bob (bass) and Baron Harkonnen (keyboards). After a short period spent in the rehearsal room to strengthen the feeling among the members, we immediately started working on the compositions, releasing the songs you can hear on our debut album 'The Shadows' Madame.'

Jewelthrone: How did you get signed to Scarlet? Did you submit a demo to the label? Did the labels contact you? Are you happy so far with the label and how they're promoting the band?

Cadaveria: We didn't realize a demo. When the songs were ready we immediately entered Frank Booth's recording studios to record the full-length album. When the recordings were going on, Scarlet guys came in studio to listen to the pre-mixing and we started talking about a possible deal. We already knew them 'cause Scarlet is the label of Necrodeath, the other band of Flegias, so negotiations were fairly easy and quick. Scarlet liked the album and was ready to put Cadaveria among the label's priorities. These are the main reasons that led us to sign with them. The Shadows' Madame had and is having the proper exposure in all Europe, it has been named album of the month on many European metal magazines and sales are going well, so we can say to be satisfied about the label work. A different situation, I think, there is in USA, where the album has not been licensed. It is distributed through The End Records, and I actually don't know how things are going. We are receiving positive feedback from there, and I hope the distribution will cover every US country. Soon the CD will be licensed in Mexico, Brazil, Russia and Taiwan.

Jewelthrone:. I really loved the album. Are you and the band satisfied with how everything turned out?

Cadaveria: Yes, totally. We had our own studio at complete disposition and this allowed us to do all with calm. We cared about recording and mixing and we didn't leave the studio before everything was ok. I think the sound is aggressive, atmospheric and direct at the same time.

Jewelthrone: Let's go back a little bit to your old band Opera IX. Are you disappointed about the way things happened that caused the departure of you and Flegias? A couple of reports I read was that Ossian was accusing you and Flegias stealing riffs for songs for some side project. What is your response to those accusations he made?

Cadaveria: Opera IX members succeeded in erasing nine years of friendship in a few days. Of course I'm disappointed about the way things went, but now, after more then one year, I still believe me and Flegias did the right choice leaving the band. Our artistic evolution could not have taken place without this event. I avoid answering Ossian's accusation 'cause I'm tired of making free advertising to my old band. People can think what they want about this, and, in any case, my words could not change their opinion. I don't want to waste my time in stupid arguments.

Jewelthrone: Before your departure from Opera IX, were you happy with the direction that band was going in? Also, why did Opera IX constantly change labels on every album? Were they all just 1 album deals or did those labels fail to promote the band properly?

Cadaveria: I was happy with the responses about The Black Opera album. It was the result of years of efforts, years spent in the rehearsal room, hundreds of nights spent at the PC and at the telephone to promote the band. At the same time I felt myself undervalued, the restricted mentality circulating in the band limited my actions and thoughts and made it difficult to grow up as an artist and to open the boundaries of musical experience.

Jewelthrone: Do you have any vocal training? Because you are able to switch voices depending on the mood of the song. When did you start singing and was Opera IX your first band ever?

Cadaveria: I studied just for one year, but I constantly practise and I love to experiment on myself trying to shift and cross my limits every time. Passion leads me through this way. I started singing one year before entering Opera IX and since then I always tried to improve my performances. I think The Shadows' Madame signs a step ahead in my career and I'm very satisfied about the way I performed all the songs of this album. This is a good result but also a good point where to start from for the next Cadaveria album.

Jewelthrone: Where do your lyrics come from? Are they from personal experiences? Things you've read or seen?

Cadaveria: Things I have read, dreamt, imagined, themes I'm interested in, things I believe in. The Shadows' Madame lyrics are the mirror of my twisted personality and they deal with energies inside and around me. Some of them contain considerations about evil existence, darkness and death; other ones are hymns to power, action and freedom.

Jewelthrone: Do you have any tour plans in the works? If so is there any that are confirmed right now?

Cadaveria: Some live dates in Italy have already been done and some other one will come in summer. We are receiving some offers to play live around Europe, but nothing is sure at the moment.

Jewelthrone: Are you thinking about the next album yet? Any new riffs or anything? Or is it to early to think about it right now?

Cadaveria: No it is not too early. I constantly write new lyrics and voice melodies and the same is doing Frank Booth with his guitar. The real composition process of the second album will start in September but something has already been written. I think the new album will be more open to new musical contaminations and to the world of art in general. It will be strange and uncommon.

Jewelthrone: Do you pay attention to the metal scene? What are your thoughts about it today compared to when you first got into it?

Cadaveria: Now it is easier to let your music circulate, but records are always more expansive, magazines are more professionally printed but everyone improvises himself journalist, internet gives more exposure to bands but it is impossible to control the truthfulness of information. A step ahead and a step back.

Jewelthrone: Well, that's all the questions I have for now. If you would like to add anything additional then say anything you want.

Cadaveria: Just let people know we started realizing a video that will be out by the end of June. Thank you for this space dedicated to Cadaveria. I invite you all to enjoy the realm of shadows. Best wishes, Cadaveria.

Classic Interview: Cadaveria... Cadaveria
Back to top Go down
http://www.mangledmusic.tk

Classic Interview: Cadaveria...
Page 1 of 1