WFLM Radio
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Total Metal Domination!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Classic Interview: Usurper...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
JewelThrone
Administrative Tyrant
JewelThrone

Classic Interview: Usurper... Empty
PostSubject: Classic Interview: Usurper...   Classic Interview: Usurper... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 2:13 pm

Here is an interview I did with Rick Scythe when Usurper were promoting their Twilight Dominion album in 2003. Originally done for a webzine and SNMR. Enjoy!

Classic Interview: Usurper... Logo

JewelThrone: How is the new deal with Earache Records working out so far? I know they reissued the Necronemesis and Visions From The Gods CD's with some extras, and then of course you got your brand new album, Twilight Dominion due out in April which is starting to get a buzz already, The label seems to be really behind the band. Does it make you feel good that Earache is giving you the promotion you deserve?

RS: So far so good I suppose. It is just good to finally get a copy of the album in my hands. Earache has been great so far. We are just getting psyched to do some touring this summer.

JewelThrone: How did the reissues come about anyway? What kinds of extras do they have? Were they remixed and/or remastered?

RS: Basically the deal we had with Necropolis for the final 2 releases was just a licensing deal. Those CD's were just issued to them. We owned all the publishing rights and worldwide album rights. When we signed with Earache they were intersted in re-issueing these. So we revamped the atwork and added some bonus tracks. Necronemesis includes a cover of the song "Tales Of The Macabre" (by Canadian legends, Slaughter). Visions From The Gods contains an additional live track, "Warriors Of Iron And Rust (recorded live in Europe 2000).

JewelThrone: What happened in the break up with Necropolis? Was the split good or bad?

RS: Good for us, bad for them HA! HA! Actually things just sort of ran their course. The direction the label was going no longer fit in with Usurper's style. Combine that with the fact that they had a lot of new people there that didn't really understand or support the band, and the fact that they didn't pay their debts with many studios and magzines, just left us in a situation where in order for the band to continue, we HAD to find a new label. We officially left the label in March 2001 and just shopped around for a new home. We had a few contracts, and were actually just about to sign with Candlelight when Earache approached us. They gave us a great deal so we signed with them in September 2001.

JewelThrone: You recently added a second guitarist to the line up. How is he working out? How did he get into the band? What do you think he adds to Usurper's music?

RS: Carcass Chris joined in Feb. 2000. He just missed recording Necronemesis, but did all the US/Euro tours supporting that album. We've known Chris since 1989. He's been part of the scene and just had bad luck with his own projects. Since 1997 we've been touring and the one "weak point" of the band to me in those days was the fact that there were a lot of songs we couldn't pull off live because we only had one guitar. Many of our songs have harmonies and melodies, etc. So in order to get the songs live to sound like the albums, I felt we needed to add an additional guitarist. Chris was a logical choice, we were already good friends and he was into the same music and lifestyle as us. I still write all the music and play all the rythems in the studio, but Chris played many of the leads. He is an awesome lead guitarist and his style really enhanced many of the songs.

JewelThrone: Dave Hellstorm recently left the band. How is the search for the replacement going? Any leading candidates yet?

RS: Right now we are rehearsing with this guy who relocated here from the bay area. He is kickin ass behind the kit, but we will wait to make him an oficial member until we get to know him better as a person.

JewelThrone: How was it working with Neil Kernon? Of all the metal bands he's been producing the past few years, he seems to be taking the bands and pushing them to the next level as far as becoming better musicians. What did he do to help Usurper in the studio? Was he easy to work with, and would you use him again?

RS: Neil was great to work with. Earache actually suggested him, we didn't really know each other so he came out to a few rehearsals and just kind of listened to the songs. Then I gave him some of our old albums and told him what we liked and what we didn't like and just kind of gave him an idea of what we were going for. I met up with him and did some pre-production and things just clicked. The actual studio sessions were intense, yet we all had a good time. We were in there 15 hours a day for 10 days. Neil really pushed us all harder than ever. He got us not only to focus on getting the best possible take for each song, but to also experiment with our individual tones and get the best possible sound from our intruments. When everything came together it was exactly what we were going for. We will definatly use Neil again.

JewelThrone: The album art for Twilight Dominion is amazing. Was this the first design you went for? Did you have other covers submitted? What lead to the concept of the artwork for the album?

RS: As with all our covers, they have to fit with the overall feel of the album. We never just have people submit designs and pick out the best one. Instead, I will come up with a sketch and a general concept. I then talk to the artist and make sure we are on the same wavelength, and then go back and forth with sketches until it is just how it is suppose to look. We used a guy named Craig Simpson this time (the same guy who did Necronemesis). He'd did a great job with Necronemesis so he was the only choice for Twilight Dominion. Basically I wanted to capture the overall feel of this album. Twilight Dominion is an ode to all things that awke as the night sets in, and vanish at the first sight of the sun. The songs deal with many paranormal, and unexplained creatures and events, so I wanted a cover that kind of depicted the uneasy feeling feel of impending doom.

JewelThrone: How long did it take to get the songs written for the new album? How much did you practice on them before going into the studio?

RS: This album took a while. We had some set backs along the way so it took a bit longer than planned. We got back from the European tour in December 2000. In January 2001 everything just kind of hit at once, we were displeased with Necropolis and planned on leaving the label, we also got kicked out of our old practice spot in November 2000 (the same week we left for Europe) so we basically came home from our most successful tour to no rehearsal spot and virtually no label. It was kind of a dark time. So I just focused on writting at home. The first 2 songs I came up with were "Perpetual Twilight" and "The Descent". We then had some band meetings about the future of the band and the new album... so by the time we found a new spot in March 2001, we had about 4 new songs and a new energy. We wanted an album that was very strong and we wanted every song to stand on its own. Just focus on what works best live and what sounded the coolest from our older albums. We signed with Earache and were planning on going into the studio in March 2002, but then we did the Manowar tour. When we came back our new rehearsal spot had a huge fire, so that set us back a few more months. But in the long run everything worked out for the best. I was able to write a couple more songs in the downtime and ended up recording 2 more songs then we needed on the album.

JewelThrone: One thing that's been a constant on Usurper albums is extensive liner notes in the albums about the songs and concept. Is this a part of the new album as well? I always take the time to read them so I can get a better understanding of the themes. Do you feel that this idea has worked in trying to coney the lyrics into what they mean?

RS: Definatly. It is cool that you can appriciate things like liner notes and song concepts. There are many people out there that just want the music and are content with just a burnt copy. To me an album is the whole experience. It is the artwork, photos, lyrics, liner notes and how they all fit together to create a micro-universe. yes this album is no exception. We have the liner notes for 5 of the 12 songs. I feel some songs are self explanitory, yet with others it helps to enhance the mood when you know where these tales come from and what they are about.

JewelThrone: Will there be a vinyl version of the album? Is Earache planning to do that? I think the artwork would look pretty sweet on a vinyl sleeve.

RS: Fuck yeah!!! Not for a while though. We plan on a gatefold vinyl with all the lyrics and photos on the inside of the gatefold jacket, and the liner notes and credits on the inner sleeve. There will also be a bonus track called "The 13th Son" on there.

JewelThrone: How do you feel about the underground scene these days? While the internet has helped somewhat, I miss the old days of back in the 80's with tape trading, word of mouth, etc. But, it's true the internet has open the floodgates for a lot of information, and it's easy to get your band heard much more quicker. What do you see as the pluses and negatives of the inrernet helping the scene?

RS: We were lucky. When we started out in 1993-94 we were heavily into the tape trading scene. No one had a demo on CD, it was all cassette, along with little quarter page flyers to promote the album. It just seemed more magical back then. Yes the internet helps, but I am glad we started in the tape trading days. It is cool that you can have an official website with up to the minute info on the band. But some kids now are just happy to have a collection of faceless shitty sounding CDR's instead of actual releases. Also things like message boards are pretty gay. I kind of stay away from any downloading and I never posted on a message board. I like the internet for answering interviews that in the old day would have to be hand written, and I like updating the website to provide the die-hards with current news. Overall it helps because of the instantaniousness of things, but to me nothing is better than a print magazine and an actual album.

JewelThrone: The band suffered a fire last year. What was your thought of that? Did any equipment get damaged? Also, did the fire put any set backs with getting the new album prepared?

RS: As I stated earlier, it set back the band a few months. But as far as equiptment goes, we were very lucky. We rehearse in this big rat infested warehouse that many other bands rehearse in. We have a huge room which we insulated very well. So when the fire broke out we had some water damage on the floor, some black soot on the equiptment and lost some posters, but the building needed all new electricity and heating, and some reconstruction. Our equiptment was fine, we just couldn't rehease for about 7 weeks. Our next door neighbors room looked like downtown Baghdad, just piles of melted black plastc and black ash everywhere.

JewelThrone: What are the band's tour plans? Will you be hitting the summer festival circuit, or will you just do shows here and there as headliners or openers?

RS: We will do whatever we can. Usurper is still an underground band, which mean it is better for us to get a support slot on a bigger tour then to try to headline ourselves. We are in some negotiations about a US and Europe tour this summer. So until then we will probobly do some warm up dates with the new drummer, and a record release headlining show here in Chicago to get us ready for a proper tour.

JewelThrone: Well, that's all the questions I have for now. As a long time fan of Usurper, it was a pleasure to interview you. I wish the band much success with the new album. Any closing remarks you would like to make, then by all means go ahead.

RS: Thanx very much for the support! We hope to see all the die-hards this year on tour! Until then check out our website: www.usurper.us

Classic Interview: Usurper... Usurper_rs_mys_info
Back to top Go down
http://www.mangledmusic.tk

Classic Interview: Usurper...
Page 1 of 1